Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lion taming

I participated in a personality quiz the other day. Typically I steer clear of personality quizzes. They all seem to ask the same questions yet arrive at dissimilar conclusions, and the most popular questionnaires compare personality traits to animals, foods, colors, super heroes and cartoon characters. Anyway, I took the quiz. I blame my acquiescence on my tired but mellow state of mind, and the fact that the inventory had been given to me by my Pastor, a man for whom I have great admiration and respect. 
This quiz revealed that I have personality traits similar to that of a LION with secondary traits of an OTTER.  (I’m still trying to figure out that combination).
            This “diagnosis” started me on a trek down memory lane to identify those occasions when my lion-like persona overshadowed my otter side. I recall one occasion when I went out to dinner with several women friends. We were chaperones at a youth convention. (I don’t remember how we lost the youth but I do know the youth were not with us at dinner). The server told us to seat ourselves and pointed out three separate tables. None of the women moved forward, but I remember hearing one woman whisper from behind me, “Let's wait and see how Max handles this.” Challenge! So after a quick survey of the room, I rearranged a few tables and had the ladies seated before the server returned with menus. Lion-like? Maybe, but wouldn’t you do the same?
            Then there was the time I heard a mom screaming in frustration at her 6-ish year old daughter in the toy aisle at Target. I had to intervene. Even as I moved boldly forward I could hear my daughter urging me to “stay out of it, Mom.” I ignored her, of course. It took maybe three minutes to calm Mom and avert what could certainly have escalated into a horribly abusive situation. How many times have parents become frustrated and taken out their anger on poor helpless kids?
I think I like the lion title. Lions take charge. “Lions” make decisions quickly and follow up with action. They speak up; they get things done; they are producers. That’s a good thing, right?
But there are negative aspects of this lion personality too. When a lion is in the vicinity of other animals, the others instinctively run for cover. It is sometimes the same with people. When the take-charge person moves forward, others often retreat. They make no attempt to take on leadership roles assuming there is no need for another leader.  A “lion” in their midst obviates the need to make decisions, to takes chances and, ultimately, to grow. That’s not good.
So for the next month or so, this particular lion aims to try out the personality of a pussy cat (or otter). It means backing off and allowing others the opportunity to take the lead. It means allowing others to float their ideas and follow through, especially when I am convinced that I can get the job done quicker and more efficiently. It means encouraging others to take risk. It means allowing others the opportunity to grow. It's certainly worth trying.

Max

No comments:

Post a Comment