Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-changes

I recently read a magazine article featuring people who walked away from lucrative careers to venture into some totally unrelated past-time. The impetus for the switch had to do with being stressed or bored, struggling with a moral dilemma, or just overall dissatisfaction with their quality of life. Often the career change resulted in selling the family home and moving to a new living environment, maybe out of state, or just away from the hustle of a big city to a sedate country lifestyle. Spouses surrendered their own jobs, kids changed schools, and the entire family faced making new social connections. According to the article, all the people interviewed reported being happy with the change.

Three months ago, I made a similar change. I walked away from a successful grant-writing career to pursue my dream of writing for the ministry. It was not an easy decision. I struggled with resigning a job that provided a steady paycheck in favor of fulfilling my passion for writing stories of faith. Could I work from home without distraction? Was I sufficiently disciplined to write regularly without the prospect of immediate financial reward?  Was I allowing my passion to cloud my thinking?

In spite of the uncertainties, I made the change. The impetus to do so is the God-given mandate to take his message to the world. The vehicle I choose is story. It’s a valid vehicle - it’s the method Jesus used to teach his disciples. The Bible calls his stories parables, earthly stories with a heavenly (spiritual) message.  

My first full length story is scheduled for publication in October/November this year. More later.

Max

No comments:

Post a Comment