Monday, February 17, 2014

Are you having a problem seeing?

Rev. Carroll Bickley, retired.
Guest blogger

      My grandfather went blind in the 1930’s. He underwent surgery in the hope of restoring his sight but was only able to distinguish between light and dark, and only for a while. He had to sell his farm, house, animals and all farming equipment.  He was only in his 50’s.  Several years ago I began to have difficulty seeing as a result of cataracts.  Remembering my grandfather’s ordeal I went to the ophthalmologist who recommended surgery.  Technology has improved since my grandfather’s day and I can now read most of the newspaper without glasses. 

     In my 60-something years in the ministry I have discovered there are many people who can’t see – not because they have aged or have an eye-related illness, but because they don’t use spiritual eyes. They are the ones “who have eyes to see but do not see” (Matthew 13:13).

     Some experience myopia – near-sightedness. They only see things that are close to them. They have lost sight of their spiritual destination because they are so caught up in present-day things. They have become intolerant and lack discernment.  

     Others experience presbyopia.  No, that is not a disease of Presbyterians. These people lose their ability to see things that are close up; they view everything from a distance. They lose the fervor and joy that once motivated and inspired them to be happy today.

     Yet others have astigmatism caused by the eye being out of balance. What is seen is distorted. They are unable - perhaps unwilling - to see the whole picture and listen to God’s voice in every situation.

     Some experience macular degeneration where their vision is impeded by blind spots. God shows them His Word and His will, but their blind spots cause interference.  (I have a freckle in the back of my right pupil; it resembles macular degeneration and interferes with my vision.)

     But the biggest problem is the one that most of us experience from time to time. It is the whole “I” problem - our self-absorption, our arrogance, our conceit.  Paul cautions in Romans 12:3  - “For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.”

     God has been dealing with me over the past several months, allowing me to see myself more clearly.  What I see disturbs me. But God also reminded me that He still loves me, that He went to the cross for me, that I am covered by His shed blood.

 _____________
Thank you Pastor Carroll for sharing your experience and your heart.


Readers: Are you experiencing a seeing problem? Or an "I" problem?
Were you able to see past the apple core in the picture above? Step back and look again.
I’d like to hear your "sight" story. Please leave comments below.
Maxine 

No comments:

Post a Comment